MLFD History

 

1894

Hope Fire Company

First fire department in Mays Landing. Their equipment consisted of a hand pumper, hose and buckets.

 

 

 

 

 

 

1903

March 23

Hamilton Township Committee met in various taverns and homes in the area, on this day the Township Committee met in Veals Opera House on Main Street.

 

March 28

Hamilton Township Committee met in Library Hall.


The Township rented Library Hall for meetings in the amount of $36 per year. This money was given to the Hope Fire Company.This same year the Township negotiated and paid the fire company $1 and accepted the deed and real estate for the property which Library Hall was located.

 

1907

July 1

Hope Fire Company had been disbanded.

 

July 3

First meeting and formation of Reliance Hose Co. No. 1. President William Weir, Vice President Charles Makepeace, Secretary Lewis C Cramer, Treasurer Harrison Wilson, Chief Emanuel C Shaner, Foreman George Kraemer, Assistant Foreman Daniel Marshalee. 

 

Members included Dr. Charles Saulsberry, Rev. Theodore McCormick, Enoch Johnson, William M. Taylor, Dorie D Hoover, Harry Jenkins, William Ripley Sr., Roy E Beach, Arthur G Cramer, John Pratt, Martin Ingersoll, Charles E. Remmey, Elva Kendall, Albert C Abbot, Dominick Myers, Henry Stowe, James Barrett, Otto Pack, Ira Smith, Thomas W Barrett, Winfield Estelow and William McClure.


The company had 3 substations; Sugar Hill, Main Street & Mill Street and the County building on Main Street. The majority of men came from the Hope Fire Company.


The fire company along with the Township realized the need to have water close by to extinguish the fires and both agreed to start locating “fire plugs” in the town. This coincided with the dedication of the new Water Company building located on Farragut Avenue. Insurance rates on homes and businesses decreased with the fire plugs.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1913

September 11

Reliance Hose Company No. 1 was incorporated. At this time the fire company was still located in Library Hall.

 

1914

January 5

Company purchased hose cart and 250 feet of hose.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

June 6

Company’s first motorized piece of equipment: 40 HP Garford Chemical Wagon, 35mph top speed. Hopefully this piece of equipment would provide fire protection for dwellings within a 5 mile radius of Mays Landing. Around this time an additional group was formed called the Everready Hook and Ladder Company.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1917

Lewis W. Cramer became Chief.

 

1918

Roy E. Beach became Chief.

 

1919

Walter A. Mahnke became Chief.

 

May 19

Company took delivery of a new Ford Chemical Wagon.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1923

April

Company took delivery of a new 1922 GMC Hale Pumper.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1924

George T. Yetter became Chief.

 

1927

Moved into firehouse on Cape May Avenue.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1931

John Newcomb rebuilt a 1927 Buick and equipped the piece with two 50 gallon chemical tanks.

 

1943

April 5

Carl Luderitz (16), Ralph Luderitz (17), Alfred Ingersoll (19) and Bill Hoover (27) lost their lives fighting an out of control forest fire in Mullica Township.

 

1947

Company took delivery of a Great Eastern Pumper.

 

1949

Diamond “T” was purchased.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1950

Charles Voigt Jr. – Killed by a fall while fighting a fire.

 

1964

James R. Hoover became Chief.

 

1966

Company purchased a 1966 Ford Pumper

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1969

Paul Taylor became Chief.

 

1971

Mack C. Harris became Chief.

 

1973

John R. Houck became Chief.

 

1974

September

Moved into our current fire house. The bell displayed in our entrance way was part of the alarm system used by the Hope Fire Company in 1895.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

September

GMC 1000 GPM Pumper (former 1816) was bought by the Fire Department.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1981

E-One Pumper (former 1812) and Mobile Cascade Unit (former 1817) were purchased by the Township of Hamilton.

 

1986

Michael Errickson became Chief.

 

 

E-One 110′ Aerial Ladder (1815) was purchased by the Township of Hamilton.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1990

E-One 1500 GPM Pumper (1813) was purchased by the Township of Hamilton.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1992

Ford F-450 Mobile Cascade Unit (1817) was purchased by the Township of Hamilton.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1993

James Morris Jr. became Chief.

 

1994

Michael Errickson became Chief.

 

1996

4-Guys 1500 GPM Tanker/Pumper (1819) was purchased by the Township of Hamilton.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2000

Eustace Eggie 3rd became Chief.

 

2004

Robert J. Valasek became Chief.

 

2006

Pierce Enforcer 1500 GPM Pumper (1812) was purchased by the Township of Hamilton.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2007

David Connelly became Chief.

 

July 7

Mays Landing Fire Department celebrates it’s 100th anniversary

Pierce Velocity 105' Ladder (1815) was purchased by the Township of Hamilton.

2011

John Sauerwald became Chief 

2015

Robert Hamilton became Chief

2017

2017 Ford Utility Police Interceptor (1811) was purchased by the Township of Hamilton.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Lou DiMartine became Chief

Pierce Enforcer PUC Squad (1816) was purchased by the Township of Hamilton

 

 

2020

Ford F-150 Pickup (1810) was purchased by the Township of Hamilton

Mizpah section is added to Mays Landing Fire's primary response area

History1 (2).jpg
History2.jpg
hosecart.jpg
garford.jpg
fordchemicalwagon-1024x768.jpg
Station1-1.jpg
Station2-1 (1).jpg
Station2-1.jpg
DiamondT1.jpg
1966fordpumper.jpg
Station3-1.jpg
1816-1.jpg
old1815.png
old1813.png
1817 (1).png
1819.png
1812.png
IMG_8906_edited.jpg
IMG_0690_edited.jpg
Squadddddd_edited.jpg
IMG_3701.JPG
Coverage.JPG